The school moved to its present site in October 1928. It changed its name from Hoath Church of England School to Hoath Council School. The accommodation was similar to before with two classrooms, one larger than the other, but these were designed to allow more natural daylight in. There was also an office, a cloakroom, more efficient heating and an outside toilet block but no accommodation for staff. Everyone must have been delighted by the modern facilities.
Hoath Council School 1931
It was still often overcrowded, however, educating a wide range of children from five to 14 years. A staggering roll of 103 was recorded in 1930. The roll reduced to a more manageable 43 on 1st July 1935 when Sturry Central School opened and the 26 senior pupils from Hoath were transferred there. In 1945 the school changed its name to Hoath County Primary School.
The original school facade showing the open verandahs
Over the years various improvements have been made. In 1937 electricity was installed in the school. In 1944 alterations were made to the cloakroom in readiness for the provision of school meals. The first telephone was installed in 1950 and was changed to a telephone with a dial in 1955. The first wireless was installed in 1952. Main drainage seems to have arrived in 1957 (there are no more references to the emptying of the cesspool). In 1969 work to enclose the verandah was begun and in 1972 work began on the conversion to oil-fired central heating.
Miss Cawdron and class at a thatching demonstration
On March 12th 1953, an oak tree given by Mr S Harbour was planted at the far end of the field to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. It is now a magnificent tree that we are very proud of.
Planting the oak tree 1953
To see some highlights from the school log book over the first 50 years in its present building, please click on the picture.
To read some school memories kindly supplied by Mr John Arnold, please click here.
The school summer outing to the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch railway – 1948